- An honest man will receive neither money nor praise that is not his due.
- Who is strong? He that can conquer his bad habits.
- The wise man draws more advantage from his enemies, than the fool from his friends.
- Hide not your talents, they for use were made: “What’s a sun-dial in the shade?”
- Write injuries in dust, benefits in marble.
- Nothing humbler than ambition, when it is about to climb.
- Diligence is the mother of good luck.
- Fools need advice most, but only wise men are the better for it.