Its been a wonderful year for me, and I hope the ditto for you all the readers.
When I look back and see the things that happened; I believe that I have learned a lot, accomplished a lot and I am a better person today.
Things that looked major challenges turned out to be minor things that I could handle very easily; the things that I thought were distractions proved to be stepping stones for success. I had opportunity to read many good books of personal development, leadership and management.
New year comes with some resolutions that we thing should be accomplished in the year. My take is to have your goal accomplished –
- Write down your resolution on paper and method explaining how will you do it.
- Must be realistic.
- Must have dates associated such as 20% by March.
- Read your resolution and review the success often.
- You must believe firmly that you will accomplish it.
- And start doing it …
I wish you all very happy and prosperous 2008.
Workplaces have transformed a lot in last few years from people working in same office building to team members scattered over different continents. This poses some benefits and challenges. As we all know that we are all connected via communication and our communication skills and capabilities play a major role in our success.
Keeping the communication channel open and alive is the responsibility of the manager. As a manager you just can not assume that if no one is complaining, all is well. There are some employees who get chance to meet and talk to boss on performance review day. I know there might be some employees who always say “everything is good” and prefer least interference as all the routine work is being done on time.
Does not matter what kind of work you are in, keeping in touch with your direct reports does the following –
1. Boosts the employee morale (you value the employee by calling or listening).
2. Employee feels connected with the organization/department.
3. Employee is encouraged to give and receive suggestion/feedback.
4. You can coach employee in the right direction as per his objectives.
5. Your objectives and expectations are clearly communicated and aligned.
6. You, employee and organization, all benefit from this interaction.
7. You make the real difference by managing talent.
Employee is a talent. We know that when we are managing talent in this innovation age, we got to ensure that talent thrives and stays innovative.
Thank you for reading and have a great day.
Managers face many situations where he has to sort out two opposing actions or ideas. Situation may be very tense as people with conflicting ideas become very much involved and passionate about their stand.
As a manager, a positive and constructive conflict between team members may be a good thing (such as some team members in favor of Microsoft based technology and others for Linux based), but how you handle it matters the most. Conflict can be between individuals, teams, groups or organizations. How you approach the situation tells who you really are. Does it make you uncomfortable when you face such situation and just pretend it does not exist? Do you just avoid completely being in any conflict and do not share your insights/thoughts?
I think conflict pushes oneself to test own mental and physical boundaries. Some people get agitated and quickly loose control over thought process when someone is in conflict and try to trump the other in any way; some may feel nervous and just shut up and opt to get out; while other may listen to opposing views with cool head and try to work out some solution.
When managing a general conflict situation, try following (there might be situations where professional help is needed) –
- Stay calm; listen to other views with open mind. Both sides may be right from own perspective.
- Find the real reason of conflict, not the one that is perceived. Observe.
- Believe that positive solution will come out at the end.
- Acknowledge the concerns and fears. Find out what are the choices.
- Think win-win solution. Attack the issue not the people.
- Make it known what is expected out of situation resolution. Stay on the issue.
- Select the best solution and implement it.
Any other suggestions? Have a good day!