We, as a professional, are hired by organizations to deliver results and perform. As time passes, our daily job becomes our universe. We spend our energies resolving problems, improving processes, saving money and many other good things. Sometimes we are ignorant and sometimes we are so busy handling all the situations at the job, we do not realize that whole world has changed and we are still there. We find that new technologies, processes, ideologies, concepts and trends have taken over what we used to do. And when we realize, then blame our employer for not guiding us, showing us the right path, etc. Remember, we are professionals and professionals know all about their field of expertise.
When I see clueless people in the situations when their cheese (i.e. work) is moved (or gone), I tell them to stop complaining but learn the lesson from it and take action.
Here are 11 points I tell (and remind) people to avoid becoming obsolete –
- Subscribe to professional/trade magazines and journals and read ( or go to library, but stay up-to-date on what is happening).
- Bookmark and frequently checkout websites dealing with news & views related to your field of expertise.
- Read some good books on the subject. Check Amazon.com’s ratings and views before buying.
- Become member & get involved in professional organizations in your chosen field.
- Volunteer your time & services in your chosen field or for any good cause.
- Mentor and guide other people, help people grow, offer help selflessly.
- Attend seminars or conferences; it does not matter if you got to spend few hundreds from your own pocket and on yourself.
- Read some good self-help books on personal development and personal finance.
- Grow your network, if good people can not find you; you go out and find for your networking. Interaction is the key.
- Always keep learning new things in your chosen field, and
- Change with time.
You will find out many successful people are already doing these above mentioned things to grow their professional network and knowledge base.
I am certainly interested in what you got to say on this subject. Everyone has unique experience and lets share our thoughts and learn from each other.
Thank you for visiting and reading the post. I appreciate it. Have a good time.