2008 is nearing the completion of business work days and it was one of the eventful year. We have seen all from US election to Canadian elections, Wall-street meltdown to Automotive bailout, Saturday Night Live comedy to economic worries. All the stuff, never thought of.
But when it comes to our professional life, one needs to make sure there are no unexpected surprises. I have mentored and provided guidance to few people over the year and have also asked for advice from my peers. Some people either make small issues into big problems or do not even have clue what is wrong. Here are some of the points to consider-
- Get feedback from your boss; have 1 on 1 regularly (weekly or monthly) to align objectives.
- Grow your professional network by volunteering at work, in community or join any organization.
- Understand that everyone is different; workplaces are diverse.
- Totally messed up? If you are honest, you’ll get another chance. Life is bigger than that!
- Do not just focus on getting credit of everything you do or say. Give credit where deserved.
- Be careful about sarcastic sense of humor. It may be wise to stay quiet.
- If you do extraordinary job you get promotion as a result. Its not the other way.
- Help others grow and learn. Don’t be afraid that someone will steal your idea.
- Take vacation or take time out. Its must to revitalize your energies and focus.
- Try to listen. Pay attention to your superiors and peers.
- Dress according to your job profile, at least.
- Do not make ‘difference of opinions’ at work your personal issue.
I firmly believe if we are serious to improve ourselves, we can start afresh anytime. Its never too late and Life is bigger than that!
Thanks for reading and let me know what you think.