We all strive for higher productivity, quality and efficiency. We implement processes in place to achieve great results but with time, we got to review and renew so that our organization continue to deliver good value to customer.
Early indicators of unhealthy organization requiring a thorough check of processes -
- Increase in employee overtime
- Over budget and late delivery of products
- Higher help-desk call volume due to various issues
- Higher employee turnover or absenteeism
- Frequent customer complaints or low customer satisfaction
- No feedback from employees for improvement or disengaged employees
- Low worker morale due to work environment conditions
- Poo or declining sales
- Negative buzz on social media
- Direction-less employees due to lack of leadership
The moment you see these symptoms of productivity drain, you got to spring into action. What actions you take mainly depends largely on your unique situation which may include feedback surveys, quality training, leadership training, communication training, team building activities, and developing new / refining processes, empowering employees. Never go the route of micro-managing.
Here is framework I follow to find solution -
- Assess the situation with the help of subject matter experts
- Frame the problem in broad terms and why it need to be addressed now
- Describe the desired outcome if problem is solved to the satisfaction
- List three best options to solve the problem
- List pros and cons of each option
- Get consensus on the single option from the team
- Explain why this chosen option will work and what are its constraints/risks
- Implement or empower the implementation
I would be interested to know from your experience what other indicators can be added to this list and how do you solve the problems. Thanks in advance for sharing your valuable thoughts and stopping by.
This list is based on my personal experience and is not through any scientific study.