Part II – Cause Of Boring PowerPoint Presentations
(This post is also published on pmhut.com as a complete article)
The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place, but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. – Dorothy Nevill
- Knowledge: One does not know the subject inside-out. All talk is superficial.
- Passion: Presenter is not passionate about the topic. If presenter himself is not interested in the presentation, how others can be.
- Planning: Not enough planning done about presentation. Person may know a lot about the subject and also very passionate; but fails to plan or weave an interesting story for intended audience.
- Expectations: Misalignment between Audience’s understanding level and key message to be delivered. Not conveying what people will get out of the presentation in advance.
- Overkill: Giving too much information in one slide or single presentation.
- Too Fancy: Stunning images & background, fancy fonts, various special distract audience. Know your audience and know your field.
- Preparation: Not enough rehearsal, presentation not flowing smoothly gives indication as person is not prepared.
Now we know the causes of boring PowerPoint presentation, in next post we will review –
Part III – How To Prepare? Putting Slides Together & How To Improve Your Presentation